At New Vision Dentistry, our expert team is skilled in correcting and treating bite issues including underbite, crossbite, overbite, upper front teeth protrusion, crowding, spacing, open bite, and other orthodontal issues that affect the comfortable alignment of your teeth.
Bite issues arise when the jaws and teeth fit together improperly. If left untreated, misalignments can cause additional oral health issues, including the accelerated wearing of the teeth, enamel erosion, speech issues, injury to the jawbone, facial distortion, and difficulty breathing. Many bite issues are detected during early dental care as a child loses their milk teeth and begin to grow their adult teeth. Dentists can track and determine bite issues and plan for corrections and interventions that may be necessary. The causes of bite issues vary, including:
- Congenital disabilities
- Dental disease
- Issues with dental hygiene
- Thumb sucking/Tongue thrusting
Bite issues not only cause functional issues but also have an aesthetic impact on the appearance of your smile and face. The correction of bite issues depends on a comprehensive plan devised by our expert team to address alignment, reconstruction, jaw positioning, damage, and cosmetic appearance of the teeth. Early intervention is best when treating bite issues, but at New Vision Dentistry in Citrus Heights, CA, we are equipped to treat all stages of bite issues with successful results.
Common Bite Issues
- Underbite – An underbite occurs when the lower row of teeth protrudes out in front of the upper row of teeth.
- Crossbite – A crossbite is characterized by upper teeth that sit inside the lower teeth. Crossbites can affect one single tooth, a collection of teeth, or all the teeth in both the front and back of the mouth.
- Overbite – An overbite causes the top row of teeth to protrude out past the lower row of teeth.
- Upper Front Teeth Protrusion – An upper front teeth protrusion causes the upper row of teeth to extend far out past the lower row of teeth.
- Crowding – Crowding occurs when teeth erupt without enough space to align properly. This includes teeth that erupt behind existing teeth and teeth, sharing the space of one tooth.
- Spacing – Spacing can be caused by missing teeth or teeth that erupt with too much space between them.
- Open Bite – Open bites are characterized by upper and lower rows of teeth that do not touch when the jaw is closed.
If you have concerns about the alignment of your teeth or experience issues with speaking, eating, or breathing because of the alignment of your teeth, the team at New Vision Dentistry can help. Our office specializes in building comprehensive care plans focused on the correction, detection, and reconstruction of uncomfortable bites. Dr. Azouz, Dr. Behl, and our expert team work closely with you to correct both functional and cosmetic issues to give you the smile you deserve. Bite issues pose a direct threat to the integrity of your teeth, so it’s important to begin treatment as soon as possible to preserve the health of your teeth. Call our team to begin your comprehensive exam and consultation.